"Funny Boned", Way to Die #302, is the second death to be featured in "I See Dead People (And They're Cracking Me Up)", which aired on April 5, 2009.
Chuck was an easy amuser of jokes told to him. One day, while at a bar, his friend told a joke so funny that Chuck couldn't stop laughing over. Even after leaving the bar later that night, and coming back the next morning, he still couldn't stop laughing. He laughed for thirty-six hours straight so hard that his heart couldn't take the strain and gave out. He literally died of laughter, per se. Then went to the heaven with laughter.
"In the end, Chuck got the last laugh, and it killed him."
Cast and Interviewees
- Benjamin Dunn - Chuck (lead: intended victim)
- Michael Welch - Joke Teller
- Dr. S. Thomas Carmichael - Himself (Neurosurgeon)
- On March 24, 1975, Alex Mitchell laughed for 25 straight minutes after watching an episode of The Goodies entitled “Kung Fu Kapers.” His widow later thanked the program for providing her husband with such a delightful death experience. News article by BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-18542377
- Greek Philosopher Chrysippus of Soli died of laughter in 206 B.C at the age of 73 when he was drinking wine and watching a donkey eating figs and said "Now give the donkey a drink of pure wine to wash down the figs" and then started laughing so hard that he fell onto the ground and shake uncontrollably while foaming at the mouth. Ironic that he was normally a very stoic man.
- This death is slightly similar to Die Laughing, but the death causes are different. In Die Laughing, Jimmy died by suffocation, and in this case Chuck died by a heart attack.