|Way to Die #501|
|"Hats All Folks!"|
|Name of the death is a pun on "that's all folks"|
|"For Barnaby, making hats was a living, but the making made him mad. He lost his mind, his customers, and his health. And then... it made him dead."|
|Date||December 12, 1849|
|Episode this death
was featured in
|"If You're Dead – Leave a Message and We'll Get Back to You"|
"Ich Bin Ein Stoner"
"Hats All Folks!", Way to Die #501, is the first death featured in the Season 3 finale "If You're Dead – Leave a Message and We'll Get Back to You", which aired on January 5, 2011.
Barnaby, a hat maker and salesman in the 1800s, took the phrase "Mad as a Hatter" literally, when he wore his own hat and began acting stark-raving mad toward his customers. When Barnaby's first customer arrived, he screamed, and stabbed his own hand. He also made another customer wear a woman's hat before calling him a "swine". Barnaby then slapped his face and sent him out. He even had delusions of seeing his customers act mad themselves, even though they actually weren't. There's actually a reason why Barnaby along with other hatters at the time acted mad. The hatters used a glue that contained mercury, so they inhaled the mercury fumes while felting the hats, resulting in them suffering from mercury poisoning and they wound up with brain damage and organ failure if left unchecked. And in Barnaby's case, years of exposure to the mercury fumes compromised his nervous system, resulting in severe brain damage, eratic behavior and hallucinations. Not only did he lose his mind and his customers... he also lost his life. Thus, he closed up shop forever. His death shocked an upcoming customer so much that she scurries out of his shop.
"Finally, with his brain fried, his immune system shutting down, and his major organs damaged beyond repair, the mad hatter once known as Barnaby... closed shop. Forever."
Cast and Interviewees
- Cameron J Oro - Barnaby (lead:intended victim)
- Unknown Actress - Female Customer (lead/uncredited)
- Salvador Romero - Custom Hat Maker
- Drew Badger - Toxicologist
- The name this death was punned on, "That's All, Folks!" may indicate that the episode that featured this death is the last episode of the season. It was also the first episode out of three that used that pun, with the later two being Bats All Folks, and Vat's All Folks.
- It also could be punned after the phrase from Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies at the end of every cartoon.
- Eso es todo, Sombero (That's all, Hat) - Latin American dub
- Sombrero Amercuriano (Amercurian Hat) (wordplay between American and Mercury) - Spanish dub