|Way to Die #129|
|"Lawn of the Dead"|
|Name of the death is a pun on the film "Dawn of the Dead" and Lawn Darts|
|"Matthew had a lot in common with 8-track tapes, shag carpeting, and platform shoes... None of them made it out of the 70's."|
|Date||May 5, 1978|
|Episode this death
was featured in
|"Today's Menu: Deep Fried Death"|
"Lawn of the Dead", Way to Die #129, is the first death featured in "Today's Menu: Deep Fried Death", which aired on December 8, 2010.
In the 70's, back when a lot more stuff was legal, a man named Matthew parties with a bunch of his junkie and drunk friends at an outdoor barbecue. After one of his friends dodges death by moving out of the way when fire shoots from the grill, Matthew celebrates by pulling out lawn darts and showing one of the female partygoers how to use them. Matthew tosses the lawn dart up into the air, but gets distracted by the female flashing her breasts (another 70's fad called breast baring) and fails to catch the lawn dart. The dart comes back down with enough speed to impale Matthew through the top of his skull, piercing his brain and coming out the bridge of his nose, killing him instantly, much to the shock of the female.
- Charlie Murphy - Actor/Comedian/Screenwriter
- Ethan Mauringed - Matthew (lead: intended victim)
- "A picnic in the 1970's shows the dangers of 70's living . . . especially the ol' lawn darts."
- Death By '70s (on Spike TV Website)
- Dart Deader
- This segment is based on the true story of Lawn Darts, which were around in the 1970s, up until they were banned a decade later after causing at least 55 injuries and three deaths.
- goof: the narrator says the man in the green shirt was Mathew but he wasn’t.