"Mary-nated", Way to Die #145, is the fifth death to be featured in "Today's Menu: Deep Fried Death", which aired on December 8, 2010.
The Longfellow couple hired Mary Mallon as their cook. What they don't know is that Mary has a secret. She has been suffering from typhoid fever. She is also a healthy carrier and infected other people by placing germs on her food that she cooks, and on the utensils. Her nickname was "Typhoid Mary". After being served, the Longfellows dig in and began to feel symptoms of typhoid fever. Over the next four weeks, the typhoid fever took action on the couple causing diarrhea and vomiting before finally, the Longfellows became Typhoid Mary's second and third victims and died.
Cast and Interviewees
- Andre Wakefield - Historian
- Dr. Robert Winters
- Joanna Strapp - Mary Mallon aka "Typhoid Mary" (lead)
- Lizzy Kimball - Mrs. Longfellow (lead:intended victim)
- Chris Boas - Mr. Longfellow (lead:intended victim)
- Over the next few years, Mary continued her spread by infecting a total of 53 people before the health officials finally caught up to her. After six years of quarantine, Mary died of pneumonia.
- The Mary Mallon Story (Spike TV)