"My Big Fat Greek Death", Way to Die #348, is the seventh and final death to be featured in "Better Them Than Us", which aired on March 16, 2011.
Perillos of Athens, a metalworker, attempts to impress King Phalaris with the unveiling of a new torture device: the brazen bull, which is meant to roast enemies that are placed inside. To make it sound even more gruesome, the bull was built in a way to amplify the victim's screams, making it sound like the bellowing of a real bull and the steam from the victim's body fluids would make the bull's nose whistle like a tea kettle. To test the device, Phalaris locks Perillos in the device and cooks him to death, sending the peasant of Athens to heaven.
"Finally, his death knell came in the form of a high-pitched whistle."
Cast and Interviewees
- Kiriakos Stavros - Perillos (lead: intended victim)
- Maged Kivars - Phalaris (lead)
- Chris Vent - Archimedes
- Richard Iacovelli - Himself (Torture Historian)
- Dr. Boyd Flinders - Himself (Surgeon)
- This is the 2nd oldest time of death that had occurred, 1st is Caved In.
- Historically, Perillos survived the brazen bull after Phalaris ordered his guards to let him out, then ordered them to throw Perillos off a cliff.
- The brazen bull was only used in Athens, Greece.
- If Perillos could speak Greek when praying to the gods for an answer, why could he speak English when he wanted out of the bull?
- In ancient legends, it was Phalaris who got roasted inside the bull, not Perillos.
- Perillos' real death was after being thrown out of the bull, he was thrown on a hilltop.
- Phalaris is presented as "King of Athens". He wasn't any king, he was a tyrant.
- Phalaris was tyrant of Akragas, the actual city of Agrigento, in the region of Sicily, Italy.
- This is the only death to take place in Greece.
- Replaced by Trip to the Maul in the German Version.
- Also, because this death took place in the 6th Century BCE, out of all the deaths in Season 4, this is the oldest death in the entire season.
- This death was Runner-Up B in the "Historical Death" category in the Death By Request: Special episode.
- This is the only torture death where the victim was innocent.
- Brass Bulls - The Deathies