|Way to Die #959|
|Name of the death is a pun on "tentacle" and "killed"|
|Kim was set in his ways, and didn't think anyone was worthy of his daughter, but that kind of thinking...it'll kill you.|
|Date||March 14, 2003|
|Episode this death
was featured in
|"Death Puts On a Dunce Cap"|
"Tenta-killed", Way to Die #959, is the first death to be featured in "Death Puts On a Dunce Cap", which aired on November 2, 2010.
Despite living a comfortable American life in Seattle and being a US citizen, Kim remains an overprotective and racist traditional Korean father, while his wife and daughter Sook adopting and adjusting well to American culture. In many ways, Kim always scares away his daughter Sook's suitors.
One day, he plans to separate Sook from her Western-born Korean boyfriend Ree by inviting him for a traditional Korean dinner. After Ree eats live prawn and sea worms, he cried uncle when Kim requests for him to swallow a live baby octopus whole. Sook tries to tell her father to stop, but he shushes her. When Ree refused to eat the octopus, Kim eats his own, only for the baby octopus' suction cups to attach itself to Kim's trachea, Despite his wife's attempt to perform a Heimlich maneuver, he ultimately asphyxiated, or choked to death.
Needless to say, Kim should have swallowed his pride instead of the octopus.
Cast and Interviewees
- David Kim - Reed (lead)
- Aki Umemoto - Kim (lead: intended victim)
- Jaejin Eum - Korean Restaurant Employee
- Dr. Pavel Bindra
- This death may have been inspired by a similar scene in the 2003 Korean film Oldboy, in which the main character eats a live octopus. However, the character in that film did not die.
- Kim's first name is never revealed, implying that the family has the surname Kim.
- Eaten Alive (Spike TV)
- Miscellaneous: Before Kim swallowed the octopus whole, he said "Naega boyeo julkke" (내가 보여 줄께), which is Korean for "I'll show you." The producers of 1000 Ways mistranslated the sentence with "You pussy."