"Tenta-killed", Way to Die #959, is the first death to be featured in "Death Puts On a Dunce Cap", which aired on November 2, 2010.
Despite living a comfortable American life in Seattle and being a US citizen, Kim remains an overprotective and traditional Korean father despite his wife and daughter Sook adopting and adjusting well to American culture. In many ways, Kim always scares away his daughter Sook's suitors.
One day, he plans to separate Sook from her Western-born Korean boyfriend Reed by inviting him for a traditional Korean dinner. After Reed eats live prawn and sea worms, he cried uncle when Kim requests for him to swallow a live baby octopus whole. Sook tries to tell her father to stop, but he shushes her. When Reed refused to eat the octopus, Kim eats his own, only for the baby octopus' suction cups to attach itself to Kim's trachea. Despite his wife's attempt to perform a Heimlich maneuver, Kim ultimately asphyxiates or chokes to death, giving him what he deserves for his stubborn attitude: a one-way trip to Hell where he belongs.
Needless to say, Kim should have ordered something less dangerous and swallowed his own pride instead of the octopus.
"Kim swallowed the octopus whole...and thought he was ready for dessert, but the octopus was a fighter...and latched onto the inside of Kim's throat."
Cast and Interviewees
- David Kim - Reed S.J. Kim (lead)
- Alice Kalim Lee - Sook Kim (lead)
- Aki Umemoto - Kim (lead: intended victim)
- Jaejin Eum - Korean Restaurant Employee
- Dr. Pavel Bindra
- This death may have been inspired by a similar scene in the 2003 South Korean film Oldboy, in which the main character eats a live octopus. However, the character in that film did not die.
- It could also be based off real-life fatalities involving sannakji.
- Kim's first name is never revealed, implying that the family has the surname Kim.
- Kim's death is similar to that of Nutty's death in Happy Tree Friends TV series episodes, "As You Wish".
- Eaten Alive (Spike TV)
- Miscellaneous: Before Kim swallowed the octopus whole, he said "Naega boyeo julkke" (내가 보여 줄께), which is Korean for "I'll show you." The producers of 1000 Ways to Die mistranslated the sentence with "You pussy."